Immerse yourself in the rich culinary traditions of Sicily in this case Eloro District with this authentic recipe for Salt cod and leeks (Baccalà con Porri), a classic dish from the south of Italy that perfectly embodies the essence of Mediterranean cuisine.Baccalà, or salted cod, is a staple in many traditional Sicilian recipes. This particular dish pairs the fish with leeks, creating a delightful balance of flavors that is both hearty and comforting.
- 1 Kg Salted cod (soaked)
- 1 Kg Leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 100 gr black olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 ounces White Wine
- Begin by soaking the salted cod in cold water. This process helps to remove the excess salt and rehydrate the fish. The soaking time can vary, but it’s generally recommended to soak the cod for at least 24 hours, changing the water several times.
- Once the cod is ready, heat a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil in a large pan. Add the cleaned and sliced leeks, sautéing them until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the soaked cod to the pan, along with the black olives. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour in the white wine, and let it simmer until the alcohol has evaporated. This will leave behind a rich and flavorful sauce that perfectly complements the other ingredients.
- Cover the pan and let it cook on a low heat for about 30 minutes, or until the cod is fully cooked and the flavors have melded together. Be sure to stir occasionally to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the pan.
- Once the Baccalà con Porri is ready, serve it hot. This dish is perfect on its own, but it can also be served with a side of crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
This traditional Sicilian recipe is a testament to the simplicity and richness of Mediterranean cuisine. The combination of salted cod, leeks, and olives creates a dish that is both flavorful and satisfying, making it a perfect choice for a hearty dinner or a special occasion. Enjoy the taste of the south of Italy
Join Three Farms Island Online Cooking Classes and Learn to Cook Like a Sicilian!