Pici is a thick, hand-rolled pasta shape that originates from the Tuscany region of Italy. It’s a rustic and hearty pasta that from a southern Italian point of you can be translated into Maccheroni without the hole. In fact, the Pici are maybe one of the few shapes of pasta from the north of Italy where the egg is not used.
And like Maccheroni is the perfect vessel for a variety of sauces, like a simple yet delicious mushroom sauce, always one of the best way to taste fresh pasta.
- 2 cups (330g) Flour (semolina or all-purpose)
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms (any variety will work)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 20 gr Butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmigiano cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Spring of Parsely
- Begin by making the pasta. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of flour. Slowly add 1/2 cup of water and mix until the dough comes together. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic. Important your dough must be not stick, always dry to work properly. Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and sauté for about 5-7 minutes, until they have released their liquid and are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll out the pasta dough into long, thin ropes. Cut the ropes into bite-sized pieces and roll them out with your hands to create the traditional pici shape.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pici pasta and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they came all on top, which indicates the Pici are ready.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the mushroom sauce. Add the butter and Parmigiano and toss everything together to combine.
- Serve the pasta in bowls and top with the finely chopped parsley.
This recipe is a great way to enjoy the unique texture and flavor of pici pasta, and the mushroom sauce is a simple yet delicious complement. Feel free to experiment with different types of mushrooms and add other ingredients like herbs or cream to the sauce for even more flavor.
Do you want to know more about the technic to make Pici? Why don’t subscribe or just ask for a private cooking class online with us? Just mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org